11 Secrets to Heal Dry Skin This Spring
While this article spells out some important information about dry skin, and we highly recommend you read the full article, here are the key points we will focus on:
Table of Contents
Common Causes of Dry Skin
The lack of moisture in your skin can be due to many reasons. Here are the most common causes that lead to dry skin.
- Cold or dry weather: The dry winter air can strip moisture from your skin. This is why you may find that your skin is dryer in the winter months.
- Hot showers or baths: While it feels good to take a hot shower, it can actually dry out your skin. The same goes for hot tubs and saunas.
- Heat, either weather or a heating source: Just like cold weather, dry heat can also strip moisture from your skin.
- Overwashing: Washing your skin too much can dry it out. This is especially true if you use harsh soaps or scrub too hard when you wash.
- Choosing the wrong products: If you have dry skin, it’s important to use products that will hydrate your skin, not dry it out further.
- Aging: As you age, your skin produces less oil, and loses the ability to retain moisture, which can lead to dryness.
- Diseases or conditions: Some health conditions can lead to dry skin. These include diabetes, thyroid problems, psoriasis, and eczema.
11 Tips to Heal Dry Skin
1. Increase Your Water Intake
2. Use a Humidifier
3. Moisturize Dry Skin With BMD's Fortified Moisturizer
BMD Fortified Moisturizer is fortified with yucca glauca root extract, ceramides, vitamins A,C, E, and nourishing antioxidants to deliver smoother, softer skin. Apply it to your face and neck once or twice a day for the best results.
4. Avoid Hot Showers and Baths
5. Hydrate With BMD's Hydro Peptide Gel
Like a drink of water for your face, BMD’s Hydro Peptide Gel enhances skin moisture and reduces the signs of photo-aging. It firms the skin using natural peptides and stimulating collagen growth. It is appropriate alone for oily skin or under additional moisturizers.
6. Gently Pat Your Skin Dry Post-Shower
7. Moisturize Head to Toe After You Shower
8. Block Ultraviolet (UV) Rays
9. Swap Abrasive Exfoliants for Gentle Products
If you’re using harsh exfoliants (especially physical exfoliants that have a grit to them), they could be causing dryness and irritation. To help avoid this, you should opt for products that exclude alcohol, added fragrances and dyes, and include only low doses of mild chemical exfoliants (like Salycilic or Lactic Acid). Just because a product states that it is for “sensitive” or “dry” skin does not automatically make a good option; check out ingredients before you commit. Our favorite gentle skin cleanser is BMD’s Soothing Foamy Cleanser, which is designed especially for patients suffering with chronic inflammation, rosacea and very irritable skin.
10. Protect Post-Procedure Skin With BMD UltraLux B3
Struggling with thirsty skin? This facial moisturizer has a triple-threat of ingredients that hydrate and create a protective barrier to seal in water. It was designed especially for patients who have undergone minorly invasive procedures, such as microneedling or laser treatments, because its ingredients are non-irritating and protect healing skin from the outside environment. After much sampling, it has become a staff-favorite to help with every-day dryness because of its luxurious texture and ability to add and retain hydration. Patients of all ages and skin types choose BMD UltraLux B3 to combat dry, tight, irritated skin as it is the perfect answer to the environment’s assault on our largest organ.
11. Visit a Dermatologist
Procedures at Bryn Mawr Dermatology for Glowing Skin
At Bryn Mawr, we offer aesthetic treatments that help to improve the appearance of dry, flaking skin. Some peels and facials help remove the dead layer of the skin to unveil fresh beautiful skin and Laser Genesis is a great, no-down-time-required procedure that instantly floods the skin with healthy hydration and nutrients. Additionally, there are medical treatments to combat the symptoms of Eczema and Psoriasis and counseling we can provide to help prevent flares.
How Long Does It Take to See Results?
Visit Our Shopify for Dermatologist-Vetted Skin Care Products
Now that you know how to get heal dry skin , it’s time to start taking care of your skin! At Bryn Mawr Dermatology, we offer a wide range of dermatologist-vetted skin care products that can help improve your skin’s appearance. Visit our Shopify today to shop for all your skincare needs!